Saturday, February 27, 2016

Job Offer!!

Hey guys! So like I said last week, this internship can be really useful for my future. Turns out,  they like what Ive been doing so far and I already got a job offer from him! It was really informal, and I am not really sure how much I would get paid,  but it is a great start in just a matter of three weeks!
So this week was largely an unsuccessful week, unfortunately.  One of they key components of their software is recordings and narrations, which use Adobe Flash Player. The problem with this is, the code I write has no way of detecting the buttons on the flash player like it would on a regular website like Google or Amazon. So, I tried a unique approach that I was hoping would work: there is a method which moves the mouse to a certain place on the screen (meant for hover drop down menus), and then I could make the code "click" the button from there. But unfortunately,  it was unable to detect an element there, so it returned an error message; but I will keep on probing for a solution. To put this in perspective, even my coworkers at Looplogic had no clue how to go about this, so this task could be consuming my time for a couple more weeks! On top of this, uploading the document using my code has also been very challenging, as launching Chrome through the code has a reported bug that has not been fixed.
Keep following next week to see how I solve these daunting tasks ahead!

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on the job offer - that's awesome!

    Also, when the mouse is unable to recognize the button, why would it be different from the usual hovering over a button?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulation on the job offer! Sometimes the best discoveries occur through the painstaking process of problem solving. Do these problems change the course of your research, or are they small but time-consuming bumps in the road?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How would your script know where the button will be on the screen from one computer to the next? Wouldn't the user reposition the browser window or have a different screen resolution each time? I must be missing something obvious...

    ReplyDelete
  4. How would your script know where the button will be on the screen from one computer to the next? Wouldn't the user reposition the browser window or have a different screen resolution each time? I must be missing something obvious...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well each element on a website has a way for code to find it (like Xpath, Css Selector).. So on a regular site without flash player it is actually quite simple!

      Delete
  5. Congrats on the job offer!

    Is there any sort of online resource you could go to that most people use for computer engineering issues to solve this issue?

    ReplyDelete