Friday, March 18, 2016

Same Old Thing

Hey guys,
So this week, I have just been doing more of the same thing: automated testing. Today, I'll talk about what I've been doing wrong.
He thought me an important lesson though. Whenever running any type of simulation test through any language or platform, always keep the test small. My one successful test, unfortunately, was around sixty lines of code; a test done properly should have no more than twenty for running simulations. What I did was create one large chunk of code that was able to run every single task he had asked me to check. What I should have done was many more classes, and each class would have a different, smaller task. For example, one method could be just creating a presentation (one of the user simulations I have to run), and the next method could edit it. That way, I can also add code to assure it does the correct action, and no small errors are occurring. This is where I made my second error. After every line of code that simulates a user action, the next line of code should be an assertion making sure that the "click" making sure what was supposed to happen actually happened.
So, those were my two main errors so far, but other than that, it has been smooth sailing!
Next week, I'll start making my game and talk about that. 

2 comments:

  1. Great to hear that you're learning so much from your project! The experiences you're getting are really great, and it's awesome that you're getting all of this now.

    Excited to hear hear about your game next week, and hope things keep going as smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Discovering your errors helps make the process in the future run much smoother! What will be the focus of your game?

    ReplyDelete